Glamping is something of a global trend, with a number of outdoor enthusiasts (and many people who aren’t all the keen on sleeping in the wilderness) looking for a more resting and recreational form of camping.
A glamorous form of camping, if you will.
This has spawned the portmanteau word glamping, and the replacement of tents with yurts and so much more. Sleeping bags are out and luxury Egyptian cotton bedding is in. Swap a remote farmers field for the ‘chic’ surroundings at the back of an Elks Lodge. Glamping offers amazing locations and luxury touches; it's truly something for everyone.
Glamping is a half-way house for adventurers who are interested in camping but want to ease their way in.
So, if you've always been interested in glamping but don't know where to start, read on to find out more…
What is Glamping?
If you combine ‘glamour’ with camping you’re practically there. Glamping combines the creature comforts of a hotel with the simplicity of camping.
Basically, it takes the fuss and frustration out of camping while retaining all of its magic. Sleeping under the stars, getting cosy alongside nature and enjoying a campfire in amazing locations. No more wrestling tent poles, studying the lingo, sleeping on bumpy ground or being in an uncomfortable tent.
Read more: Camping vs Glamping - Which is Right for You?
Glamping gets us back to natural environments and offers a welcome break from fast-paced lives and technology. Tentative campers can forget about sleep deprivation on roll mats or trying to brew a cup of tea in a storm. It’s luxury alongside the escapism and adventure of camping.
What do I Need to Know Before I go Glamping?
Some may say ‘if you can’t hack camping - go glamping’, but that's an unfair knock on an amazing activity. If nothing else, glamping is at least giving people exposure to the countryside and life outside cities.
This excellent ‘infoglamphic’, from Canopy & Stars, illustrates the background of glamping and has a handy questionnaire to ask yourself before you he outdoors:
Should I Go Glamping?
If you’re looking for an outdoor holiday without experiencing some of the ‘discomforts’ of traditional camping, then glamping is for you. There are some incredible glamping locations around the world, and here in the UK where some of the accommodation is truly spectacular.
If this sounds like something for you, then glamping is certainly worthwhile.
Read more: Why Should I Go Glamping?
What are the main reasons to go glamping?
- Comfort: This is the main reason is to ‘glamp’. It's “roughing it” without the “rough” part. Forget being cramped in a tent, spread out in a cabin with real beds for a great night’s sleep. Enjoy your own five-star hotel room among nature. Bliss.
- Conveniences: Not everyone likes the idea of rough cooking or the lack of a bathroom. From a stove to a full-size kitchen, cooking while you’re glamping becomes a pleasure. You can even have power showers and en suite bathrooms. Relax with luxury.
- You Don't Have to be an Expert: You may think that camping is as simple as buying a tent and heading outdoors. It’s not like that. The gear needed to rough it can add up quickly along with being educated on everything. You don't have any of that with glamping.
- Locations: From beaches and deserts to mountain landscapes and wooded retreats, glamping sites are always based in some of the most incredible destinations. You can glamp in anything from treehouses to yurts. Glampsites take campsites up a notch.
- Eco-Friendly: Glamping will immerse you in nature and help you protect it. You’ll have a heightened appreciation for ecology because of it. Tents, huts, cabins and yurts require next to nothing to be assembled, making glamping a low impact green activity.
- Less Stress: When you think of camping, you imagine fussing over a tent and sleeping arrangements. The tent is infuriating itself, but with glamping, there's none of that. Easy. You can simply turn up and leave at your own pace with minimal stress.
Take a look at our full range of camping furniture and camping equipment collection including:
Camping Chairs | Camping Cooking & Eating | Sleeping Bags, Mats & Beds | Camping Accessories
Read more from the Winfields Blog to set you up for 2020...
⛰ 🏕 🌳
Don’t forget to take a look at our camping blog for more posts like these and buying guides…
The Best UK Campsites To Stay At in 2020 | The 10 Best Family Camping Tents 2020 | What will Camping in 2020 Look Like?