Best Awnings For VW Campervans
With so many options and awning models to choose from, we wouldn’t blame you for feeling uncertain on what features to look for.
So, if you’re thinking about buying an awning for your VW campervan ahead of your next outdoor adventure – we’re here to help find the right awning to suit your requirements and camping preferences.
Read on to discover the best awnings for VW campervans…
Why should you invest in an awning for a VW campervan?
There are many reasons why investing in an awning for your VW campervan is a great idea. To determine whether it’s worth it for you, here are a few of the main benefits of an awning:
- Awnings are easy to set up and provide campers with a more spacious and sheltered space during their outdoor holiday.
- An awning is a perfect feature for when you’re planning on camping in wet weather and/or when the winds are strong, as they are made to withstand harsh elements.
- Similar to how they will protect you from unfavourable weather, an awning will also provide a sheltered escape from harsh UV rays when the sun is out.
Awnings for VW campervans
Whether it’s a retro VW T2 or a brand new VW T6, these iconic cars are often the kings of the campsite. And, with campervan conversions becoming more and more popular in the UK, more and more owners can simply start the engine and cruise off on a camping trip without a second thought.
However, even the mightiest VW models need a little extra breathing space. All offering the perfect attaching height and fixtures for a range of VW T4s, T5s and T6s, our VW Campervan awnings are the ideal addition to your arsenal of camping equipment.
Here at Winfields Outdoors, we offer an extensive range of awnings specially made for VW campervans. To give you a taste of what’s on offer, we’re going to show some of our best-selling awnings. This includes:
Vango Galli TC Air Low Drive Away Awning
Perfect for providing a large usable space while on holiday, this awning is packed with Vango’s best features. Its inflatable AirBeam technology means you can pitch this awning in a matter of minutes, while the side attachment design ensures guaranteed views wherever you go.
This drive-away awning also boasts Vango’s luxurious Sentinel Signature fabric which is breathable and water repellent, keeping your awning cool in the warmer months and standing up to the ever-changing British weather.
Open Dimension: 320 x 465cm (W x D – Floorplan Size) Plus extra 120cm in width for connecting tunnel
Pack Size: L78.0 x H45.0 x W49.0cm
Attaching Height: 180 – 210cm
- Pre-angled super beams maximise the useable space inside
- Vango TBS®II tension band system for performance in adverse conditions
- AirZone produces a condensation-reducing flow of air
- Vango AirBeam technology for quick inflation
- SkyTrack II® system allows easy-to-attach optional lighting, storage or SkyLiners
Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air Drive Away Awning
Next, we have the superb Outdoor Revolution Cayman Combo Air Drive Away Awning. The unique mirrored design of this awning is both innovative and highly versatile, offering the same level of access from the front and back for complete flexibility to suit your needs.
This clever design also opens up the scope for usage, allowing the awning to be flipped to fit both left and right side of vehicles. A large window panel on the side, doors and windows at both ends make for a bright interior, while ventilation points around the awning produce optimal airflow to reduce condensation.
Open Dimension: 300 x 360 (W x D – Floorplan SIze) Plus extra 80cm in Width for connecting tunnel
Attaching Height: 180 – 210cm – (Lowline) / 210 – 255cm – (Midline)
Pack Size: 80 x 47 x 38cm
- Twin-ended design with zip back doors to both sides.
- Integral twin-ended eyebrow canopies with fibreglass poles.
- Inner cowl tension straps and cowl bungee for an adjustable vehicle fit.
- Twin rear zip back cowl access doors.
- Main living area ventilation system with Velcro down storm cover.
Vango Magra VW Air Drive Away Awning
Now in its second year, and sized perfectly for your VW campervan, this inflatable drive away awning provides versatile additional living and storage space alongside your vehicle.
The stand-out feature of this inflatable awning is the front and rear entrance design. It ensures you are facing the view, whether your vehicle has a left or right main door, allowing for the perfect setup every time.
A great space-to-weight ratio will ensure you still have plenty of room in your campervan for every adventure!
Attaching Height: 180 – 195cm (Kador Length: 250cm)
Open Dimension: 355 x 442cm (W x D – Floorplan size)
Pack Size: L75.0 x H40.0 x W41.0cm
- Awning attaches to your van with a side attachment to ensure you are always facing the view wherever you go.
- Low-level vents help to circulate air within the awning and reduce condensation.
- Patented TBS®II – Tension Band System – ensures performance in adverse conditions, especially in strong, changeable winds.
- SkyTrack® System allows easy attachment of optional lighting, to tidy cables or even hang optional additional storage units.
- The pre-attached 6mm Kador strip is the most common and easy-to-use connection system for awning attachment to vehicles.
Outdoor Revolution Cayman Air Drive Away Awning
This versatile and feature-packed drive away awnings is one of the best available on the market. Offering unrivalled value for money and ideally suited as a small family weekender, this awning inflates in just a few seconds from a single point for ultimate convenience.
A premium, ultra-lightweight fabric offers fantastic performance and a compact pack size, making this awning easy to take with you on any adventure.
A new feature for 2022 is the option to zip a bedroom annexe to the back. A poled version is also available.
Attaching Height: 180 – 220cm – (Lowline) / 220 – 255cm – (Midline)
Open Dimension: 300 x 300cm (W x D – Floorplan Size) Plus extra 80cm in depth for connecting tunnel
Pack Size: 82 x 47 x 35cm (Approx.)
- Zip back front and side door with Phoenix mesh ventilation panel.
- Zip-out rear door to take an optional Cayman sleeping annexe.
- Integral, vehicle front-facing eyebrow canopy with fibreglass pole.
- Inner cowl tension straps and cowl bungee for an adjustable vehicle fit.
- Roof ventilation system with Velcro down storm cover.
Kampa Touring Air VW Drive Away Awning L/H
Last, but certainly not least, we have the Kampa Touring Air VW Drive Away Awning L/H.
Specially designed for maximum space, this awning sits neatly alongside your vehicle without extending beyond your pitch. A choice of connection methods make attachment to your vehicle simple, whilst the connection tunnel itself features a good-sized side door and is spacious enough to use as additional storage.
This is the left-hand configuration version of the awning and has drive-away capability to reserve your pitch when you are off exploring for the day. The right-hand version is also available.
Attaching Height: 180 – 210cm / (Connection Width : 250cm)
Open Dimension: 280 x 610cm (W x D – Floorplan size) (Plus extra 90cm in width for connecting tunnel)
Pack Size: 78 x 41 x 41cm
- Free-standing drive-away awning – can be left to reserve your pitch when you drive away.
- Multi-Point inflation as AIR Poles are inflated individually for the simplest set-up and take-down.
- Large open front canopy area for sheltered outdoor relaxation.
- Door in connecting tunnel for access to your vehicle, without the need to go through the main living space.
- Flat entrance with a ground-level entry for ease of access into the awning.